Coronavirus & Older Adults
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has issued important information regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19). The respiratory virus was first identified in 2019 and is has spread quickly across the globe.
According to the CDC, some people are at higher risk of getting very sick from this illness. This includes:
- Older adults
- People who have serious chronic medical conditions like:
- Heart disease
- Lung disease
To help you and your senior clients, AMAC Broker Services has complied a list of resources from the CDC:
FACT SHEET: Know the facts about coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) and help stop the spread of rumors.
CORONA VIRUS: What you need to know about the disease
WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE SICK: If you are sick with the virus, or suspect you are, follow these steps provided by the CDC to help prevent spread of the virus.
SYMPTOMS of CORONAVIRUS: Patients with COVID-19 have mild to severe respiratory illness. Deaths have been reported.
STAY HEALTHY – WASH HANDS: This reminder provides step-by-step reminders on how to wash your hands. The spread of the virus can be reduced by proper handwashing.
Family and Caregiver Support
- Know what medications your loved one is taking and see if you can help them have extra on hand.
- Monitor food and other medical supplies (oxygen, incontinence, dialysis, wound care) needed and create a back-up plan.
- Stock up on non-perishable food items to have on hand in your home to minimize trips to stores.
- If you care for a loved one living in a care facility, monitor the situation, ask about the health of the other residents frequently and know the protocol if there is an outbreak.
Start the Discussion